Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Texas "Vacation"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback on my journey so far! I can’t even explain how thankful I am to have all of you in my life. So to pick up where I left off, I was in Dallas for a few days to spend time with my family. One of my Board members called the Miss Texas Scholarship Organization and found out that the pageant was the weekend I was going to be home. I couldn’t believe it, but I was invited to attend the finals night of the Miss Texas pageant! Mom and I got all dolled up and headed to the University of Texas at Arlington for the big show.

The whole event was incredible! I mean, talk about a SHOW! It was eye opening, inspiring, and completely invigorating to see how the contestants prepared, performed, and were totally ready and excited to be crowned the next Miss Texas. I was able to meet Miss Oklahoma and Miss New Mexico before the competition started, which just blew me away! I could tell right away that they were strong, beautiful women; women I am so proud to be associated with! This pageant gave me my first bit of insight into what my experience at Miss America could possibly be like. I’ll tell you what, I cannot wait. J

The rest of the weekend was full of fun events and appearances as we neared the 4th of July. I visited my Grandma Kate’s retirement home (El Dorado) for an ice cream social. I also visited my Grandma Ginny’s retirement home, talked with them about fall safety, and sang hymns with them. They were so very thankful to have me there and I never wanted to leave!

Monday, 4th of July, rolled around and I prepared to ride in our neighborhood’s home owner’s association parade. My sisters and I made a sign to put on the side of the convertible and drove to my high school, J.J. Pearce, to meet my driver! Six years later, it was amazing to be back at my high school! I saw my 5th grade teacher, a giant surprise for both of us! The parade was wonderful. I had family and friends lining the streets and all the neighborhood members were as excited as I was to be there! One of the craziest parts of the parade experience, as I have come to realize, is having people cheer for you by name! My automatic response was to think that I knew all of the people cheering for me (since they knew my name), but I kept forgetting my name was plastered on the side of the car! Haha! Regardless of whether they know me or not, I am so thankful for their support.

After the parade and the picnic in the park that followed, my family and I headed home, showered (the Texas heat is no laughing matter), and I realized I was having some trouble swallowing because of a slight pain in my throat. I decided to take a small nap and when I woke up…YIKES! I couldn’t even manage a swallow! Dr. Mom looked in my throat and we saw that somehow, a terrifying case of strep throat had managed to infiltrate my body’s immune system. I was never sick even once in Hawaii and after weeks of high stress and hectic schedules, I suppose it finally caught up with me! I went to the doctor since I was supposed to fly home the following day and he told me that it had been years since he had seen a case of strep so severe! Along with antibiotics, I got a shot…in my BEHIND! Haha, a first for me! I praised God for the quick healing it offered me!

I healed up fairly quickly and got back to Denver within a couple days. I hopped in my car and drove north to Sheridan! It was time for me to see my Board once again! After the Miss Texas pageant, I couldn’t wait to get started on my preparations! More to come soon! Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment