Wednesday, November 16, 2011

California, Here I Come!

Hello from beautiful California! I know it’s been FOREVER since I’ve updated my blog but I decided to just jump right back in! I will update you on all the recent happenings as soon as I can! This morning I boarded a plane in Gillette to head to Denver, where I jumped on a connecting flight to Los Angeles, California! Today was my first day to fly out of Gillette and it was quite an experience! It’s a beautiful little airport but the poor gal attending the check-desk wore about 50 different hats! She checked us in, accepted our baggage, made announcements, took our tickets, de-iced the plane’s wings, and then sent us on our way! The only things she didn’t do were the security checks and she left the flying up to the pilots! J She was wonderful and an inspiration in her ability to handle the entire experience without appearing flustered in the least!

Some of you probably know this about me: I am a hopeless plane (and car) sleeper. I think from years of road trips between Texas and Wyoming, I trained myself to fall asleep to the vibrations of a moving vehicle! I’m writing this from a train (L.A. to San Diego) and I’m shocked that I’m still awake and functioning! So I slept from Gillette to Denver and had an even better nap from Denver to L.A.

Once I got to L.A., the REAL adventure began! I had my first sighting of ‘smog’ and it was different than I had envisioned… It reminded me of how it looked outside this morning in Gillette when I looked out my window and the snow was obscuring my normally clear view into the north of town. The smog was shocking but it was an interesting change from the snow! My jacket was no longer necessary in the beautiful weather. Awesome!

After grabbing my bag, I met my wonderful friend from the University of Wyoming, Douglas Owens. We haven’t seen each other in YEARS and it was a fabulous reunion! Straight away, we headed to the Santa Monica pier and walked around smelling the deliciously greasy aromas and watching the performers at their best! We snapped a couple fun pictures and I absolutely reveled in the fact that I was in California for the first time EVER! To have this experience on such a beautiful day with an incredible friend was such a huge blessing! I could hardly contain the joy in my heart. J

After exploring the pier, we headed to In-N-Out Burger for a delicious lunch! I was able to get two hamburger patties on the “secret menu” that I learned about today! Did you know there are items you can order that are not posted on the menu? You have to be a “regular” to know the lingo and fortunately my tour guide had the inside scoop!

Right after filling our bellies, we headed to the ranch where Douglas works in his spare time. The ranch is located right above the neighborhood of “Hollywoodland” and right below the famous “Hollywood” sign! Did you know that the Hollywood sign was originally supposed to say “Hollywoodland” and it was intended to be an advertisement for the Hollywoodland neighborhood lying underneath it. The idea of Hollywoodland was originated in 1923 before the Great Depression and while it was never realized, the dream still lives on!

Douglas and I saddled up on our horses and took off for the Hollywood hills! My horse was so sweet and gentle and we ambled around, checking out the gorgeous scenery. Of course, I wore my helmet and was so pleased to learn that each rider at the ranch is required to wear a helmet or else they are not allowed to mount a horse! What an excellent rule in place to help prevent traumatic brain injury. Douglas and I finished the breathtaking tour and headed to the Los Angeles Union Train Station. I am on the train as I type heading to San Diego for the national American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) conference. The first event I will attend happens AS SOON AS I step off the train! I will be attending the welcoming reception held by the president of ASHA on a yacht in the San Diego bay. I am praying that the train gets there on time and everything goes according to plan!

I am so excited to be introduced at the opening ceremony to the ASHA conference tomorrow morning! My platform of traumatic brain injury prevention and awareness is near and dear to not only my heart, but to many other speech-language pathologists that work with hundreds of thousands of people living with traumatic brain injuries. I am thrilled to have the opportunity not only to talk about what we can do as speech-language pathologists to prevent traumatic brain injury, but also to learn about the most current research and happenings regarding the topic! This is going to be an AMAZING week! I will post more pictures soon! Thank you for all your prayers and believing that are helping to make this such a magnificent journey!

Much love,

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment