Saturday, January 14, 2012

Prelim Night 1!

Hello, hello! I know it has been a while since I have written! Right now, I am sitting in my room, things almost packed, having just finished my last ‘spray tan’ of the competition. I hardly even have words to say what I’m feeling right now, it’s difficult for me to even process the magnitude of this week’s events! I can’t say for sure whether it’s because I’m exhausted or not, but I do know that the past 10 days have felt like an absolute dream. Totally incredible, beyond anything I could have asked or dreamed, and I have such a joy in my heart that it’s hard to contain!

Tuesday was the first night of preliminary competition. That day, the mu group shot video footage for about 6 hours for Harrah’s in Las Vegas! We went to different locations like Serendipity and Paris hotel. The footage taken during this time will be used in 2 different commercials for Planet Hollywood and its associated franchises on the night of the competition (so watch out for me!)! J So first we were filmed walking down a huge, gorgeous staircase (if you see a shot of a hand with a Miss America crown ring trailing down the banister, that’s the fancy work of Julia, Miss Maine!). We had a great time talking and laughing and eventually making our way into the lobby of the hotel. There we pretended to check in, having a great time dancing to the music!

After the hotel, we headed to a restaurant called Serendipity3. This place is FAMOUS for its desserts and I will tell you that it is better than I could have ever imagined! We filmed different shots of us sipping milkshakes out of shots in the “cutest” way possible with the sun shining in our eyes! It was quite the task but the director and producer were so kind and encouraging! I learned that the trick is to close your eyes, relax your facial muscles, and turn your face towards the sun. That way, your eyes begin to adjust and it’s not such a dramatic change when you have to look towards it! Who knew? Ok, so the best part about this shoot was the TREASURE CHEST full of treat they brought out for the commercial! It was truly a chocolate treasure chest filled with ice cream, cookies, cheesecake, oreos, whipped cream, fruit, and printed in edible gold was, “Miss America” written across the front of the chest! We had a such a good time digging into that decadent treat and having a few bites, even with swimwear pending the next day! Haha! When would we have that opportunity again?

We then went to a steak house at Paris and sat down while the crew set up the lighting for the shoot. Here, the staff brought out giant platters of seafood and steak. The seafood set up was awesome with a bowl of dry ice below the raised plate; the waiter poured hot water onto the dry ice and the whole dish looked like it was floating on a sea of mist! As some of you might know, I am not a huge fan of seafood but they certainly made that dish look beautiful!

After finishing the shoot, we headed back to Planet Hollywood for rehearsal. It was our turn to rehearse onstage question placement and then the entire group did a dress rehearsal! Even though we had been on the stage a few days already, I can’t even explain the feeling of imagining the crowd in the audience seats, the adrenaline pumping through your blood, and the excitement of finally getting to show the judges how God has worked in my life in helping to prepare me for this challenge! We finished rehearsal, had about 45 minutes in our rooms to get ready, then headed back to the tent for the show.

One thing I didn’t know about Miss America before competing is that contestants are allowed to bring make up artists and hair stylists to help them prepare during preliminary competition but during finals night, contestants are required to do their own styling and preparation. Because of the exorbitant fee associated with hiring a stylist (in many cases) and the fact that I wanted to be able to do my own hair and make up for when I make finals, I didn’t hire a stylist. It’s fun to see all the hair do’s and beautiful make up as the women return from their appointments, though!

As for the first preliminary night show, it was AMAZING! The energy from the audience was incredible! It was so fun doing the parade of states routine at the very beginning and I remembered every step of the dance! J Introducing myself and my state on the Miss America stage in front of the judges was a surreal experience and YES, it was everything I dreamed it would be!

My onstage question went well! The question was regarding traumatic brain injury and what people can do to help others once they have suffered a traumatic brain injury. Although certainly I thought of a few things I would like to have added after the fact, I was thankful for my ability to think quickly on my feet and answer accurately and fairly concisely! Praise God! It was so wild to look into the eyes of the judges, seeing that they knew my heart at that moment, and believing that I had done my very best! Amazing!

The award ceremony was so much fun, cheering on the preliminary winners! Even though I wasn’t up for a preliminary award (swimwear and talent), it was crazy how nervous my tummy got just because of how the anticipation simulated how I imagine it will feel Saturday night as we wait for the final contestants to be called!

Visitation afterwards was the very best. My Wyoming group was waiting for me at the entrance to the visitation ballroom and as soon as I put my bag down, Matthew picked me up and swung me right around in a circle! That just about encompasses how we all felt! I hadn’t seen my family for over a week and it just strengthened my heart and soul to see them and talk with them! So many dear, wonderful people are here to support me and it blesses me beyond belief to have their support! It was so uplifting to go to visitation and the time passed much too quickly!

Although this time seems to have come so quickly, so many days have gone by with full, busy schedules and every moment has brought us closer together as a class of sisters. I have cherished every moment with my new sisters and am so excited for Saturday! I am too tired to keep typing now, but will try to update you on the last two days tomorrow morning! I cannot believe the final competition is tomorrow. I have not stopped praising God for this opportunity and I hope that you all know how precious you are to me! I wouldn’t be at this point without the support of so many of you! I love you! Good night, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment