Sunday, January 8, 2012

What a beautiful day!

Good evening, everyone! Hello from Las Vegas! I am just about to burst at the seams with excitement about all that happened today! I’m pretty exhausted though, so it’ll have to be short! J Thank you for all your kind messages throughout the night and day; your thoughts and prayers lift me up so much!

Ok, so this morning I got up at 5 in order to be ready for rehearsal. We weren’t coming back to our rooms until after dinner at Buca de Bepo tonight (around 10 p.m.) so lots of packing and planning were in order. Brittney and I hustled and headed down to rehearsal with the rest of the women after packing our bags. This morning, we spent a couple hours in rehearsal and worked our moves and opening lines for the Parade of States! Then, we headed to lunch. I found an ‘egg’ station and they cooked me eggs just like I have been making at home-it made me so very happy! I added some salsa and fresh jalepenos to that bad boy, threw in a salad and had a perfect lunch!

During lunch, I was able to spend some time with a few of the hostesses helping us out this week. They are such wonderful women and we are so very blessed to have them with us! It is the best feeling to know we have ‘moms’ all over the place to help us if we are in need and to encourage and support us in so many ways! Today, I had the opportunity to talk with one of the hostesses about her history with the Miss America pageant! She has been as hostess for 31 years, starting in Atlantic City, and travels to Vegas to take part in it all. It was so amazing to hear her perspective and see the love and passion she has for the program. No wonder the pageant weeks go by with such flying colors; these women love what they do and it shows!

After lunch, we headed back to rehearsal and learned the walking patterns for swimwear and evening gown. The song for swimwear is so fun and upbeat and we all had a blast “working” the music as we practiced our steps and poses! The women in my class are just hilarious-especially my roommate Brittney! Can she ever bust a move on the dance floor! Many of us spent time trying to figure out how to turn over our left shoulder (instead of the right) and we were all pretty dizzy by the time we got it figured out! J Just know that when you see us strut our sassy selves down the stage in swimwear, lots of laughs and energy were put into those walks!

After rehearsal, we all headed to our tent to prepare for the Express fashion show event. We changed into our dresses, provided by Express, for our onstage question outfit. The jewelry and outfit choices looked amazing, no woman in the same combination. We really were a glamorous group as we headed out in our buses to get to the mall!

When we arrived at the mall, we headed down to the basement where the fashion show would start. We all lined up in rows according to state name in a GIANT, glass-walled elevator. We practiced ‘stomping’ the runway and ‘smizing’ (smiling with our eyes) twice before the show started. Then, it was lights, camera, ACTION! The elevator rose up from the basement floor and as it reached the ground level, we were showcased from all angles to the public above! It was so cool! Of course, it reminded many of us of the Tower of Terror in Disneyworld in Orlando! J One at a time, we all walked out on the runway, each woman showing her personality with swinging hips, sassy turns, and beautiful smiles! My roommate accidentally lost a shoe along the way and recovered more gracefully than any woman I’ve seen! She was the star of the show and a tough act to follow!

As my turn came up to walk the runway, my heart started beating a little faster but I just kept telling myself, “long steps, short arm swings, and smile!” I was absolutely praying as I went out there and I had the time of my LIFE! The feeling of beauty and glamour I had as I walked down the stage was so incredible, unlike anything I’ve experienced before! I know so many of us were practically giddy after the walk because of how surreal the whole experience seemed! Although modeling isn’t currently a part of my life, I was beyond thankful to have the opportunity to experience that feeling! AWESOME!!

After the show, we all sat down in state order at tables with our autograph cards and people who watched the show came through to get our ‘John Hancock’s! I met a couple from Thermopolis  and a man who has been to Cheyenne Frontier Days for the past 4 years! It was wonderful to meet some fellow Wyomingites!

After the signing, we headed to Buca de Bepo for dinner. Dinner was simply scrumptious! I sat with an amazing group of women and we talked, laughed, and really got to know each other! As we worked through our courses, the anticipation built for the beautiful sundae presented to us at the end of the meal! Some of us had a small bite and enjoyed the splendor of the treat! Buca provided us with fruit cups in addition to the sundae, which was so thoughtful. Oh, and we got to finger paint! As part of the experience, all of the contestants signed their names on a giant canvas then  put one of their hands in spaghetti sauce and pressed it next to their signature! It was the tastiest signing I’ve ever done! After various photo opps and so much laughter and fellowship, it was time to head home. We changed in our tent then headed to bed!

It has been a long but a beautiful day. My heart is so overwhelmed with gratefulness for this opportunity! I can hardly believe I’m here with these amazing women in this incredible situation and you better believe I’m soaking in every minute of it! I can’t wait to tell you more tomorrow but for now, it’s off to bed! Love you all and thank you for your continued prayers! Also, please keep Miss Montana, Veronika, in your prayers as she is not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment